Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

SYMPATHY IN BLACK AND WHITE


What are the hardest cards to make?  In my opinion, it is a sympathy card.  Having to make a few recently,I think it is even harder when you do NOT want it to have any religious tones.  Went looking for some appropriate paper Black and White)and found some Black and Silver that I thought would work at a local big box store. 

I came across the Card Crafter's Circle challenge blog and they are having a sketch challenge similar to what I had in mind....
 
                 

 and thus the card materialized:

Finished size is 5 X 7

My old standby for a sympathy card uses a die cut bird that I call a dove, however I don't have one laying around and no die cut machine, so I found these dove brads and some floral embellishments that look like lilies to me.  Also looking in the dollar bins, I found some great black and white ribbons to add.

Dollar bin finds
 
 
 
The ribbon is sheer and I think really beautiful. It is adhered to a piece of white cardstock and layered onto black.
 

Here it is just added to the inside of the card directly onto the white cardstock.
Heartfelt Creations sentiment

 
                                                  
The brads were plain white, so a little glue was added to the wings along with some white art glitter.



                                             
While I was at it, I made a few more in A2 size.  One for a birthday and 2 more to have on hand.  I also made one into a thank you (not pictured).  I apologize for the quality of the picture--it was at night.



ABC Challenge - O for Open
Card Crafter's Circle - Challenge #78 Feeling Sketchy
Crafty Sentiments Designs - Black, white and one other color (silver)
Sentimental Sundays - Challenge #158 Metal Findings (doves)
Creative Moments - Challenge #18 Lots of Layers
The Hobby House - Challenge #1 Anything Goes
Make It Monday - MIM #144b with Nicecrane Designs (b) - Anything Goes

That's it for now.  I am a little behind getting this posted.  Worked all day in the yard yesterday and my body is really feeling it.  My hands are so stiff it is hard to type!  LOL.  Until the next time.........happy stamping!
Cheesy Sandy  

14 comments:

Jac’s Playground said...

Beautiful sympathy cards, very elegant, thanks for joining us at Crafty Sentiments this week. Jac x

Jackie W said...

Absolutely gorgeous cards! Love the design and dove brads you've added! Very sweet and lovely! So glad you shared with us at Crafty Sentiments!
Jackie W :)

mixamatoasties said...

Lovely.

Thanks for joining in at Crafty Sentiments this time.

Susan x

Anonymous said...

thank you for joining us for the Hobby House first challenge and your lovely comment :)
Hugs Kate xx

Sarah said...

Thank you for your kind comment Sandy. You are right about sympathy cards, however you gave done a great job with yours!! The little flowers on my card are resin flowers that were freebies with a magazine.

Shona Erlenborn said...

Thanks for the inspiration Sandy. I have to make a sympathy card today too. I always find them hard to do also. Love what you did, and the glitter on the doves is just lovely.

WeirdCat said...

Beautiful cards, well thought out, popped over from MiM,
Ruth x

Karen Petitt said...

Very elegant sympathy cards, gorgeously and thoughtfully made. I wish we got Dollar bins lol! Thank you for sharing your creation with us and for joining us at Creative Moments #18 lots of layers challenge. Karen P CM DT (http://stampinginpink.blogspot.co.uk/ )

Unknown said...

beautifully made card for a touching moment. Thanks so much for using our sketch over at Cardcrafterscircle. Teresa x

Pauline said...

These are beautiful Sandy! I love that you've twisted the sketch, and the addition of those sweet buttons and flower is perfect. Thank you for sharing with us at Card Crafter's Circle!

Stampsnob. said...

Sandy this is beautiful
I wish I could devote more computer time to browsing blogs there is so much to be seen..Lis

Donna Ellis said...

Beautiful cards, Miss Cheesy head! Love what you did with the interior, too. I especially like the ribbon "panels" for the sketch. Great idea! The white embellies are a pretty contrast to your elegant black - beautiful cards!

Jenny said...

Beautiful!. Thank you so much for joining us at the Hobby house. Jen xxx

Ellen Taylor said...

All so elegant! Love your take on the sketch and those fabulous papers!