Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013

Napkins and ModPodge

One of the first ways I learned to use napkins on cards was to use ModPodge.  It is a really easy technique, but does require some drying time.  I have never tried heating them with an embossing gun to speed up drying, so if you have tried it, let me know how it works!

I chose this napkin because it reminds me of where I'd like to be every day -- relaxing on the beach. I only can hope that it gives my friend a warm fuzzy!  And here is the card I made for my long time friend's birthday (Germaine).


Begin by separating the napkin layers until you have only the top, colored layer.  Apply ModPodge over a piece of cardstock with a brush, then place the napkin with color side up and spread ModPodge over the napkin. (I used a sponge brush--really cheap).  When it is all covered, set aside to dry.  Be sure that you have 2 of the same images on your napkin piece, or else do two napkins.  That way you will have images to pop up.  And don't worry about wrinkles in the paper......it really looks neat that way.


After the pieces are dry, simply cut to the desired size, ink the edges, mat onto another piece of cardstock and tape to the card front.  Then cut out some of the smaller images to raise up with pop dots.  The modpodge really makes the napkin stiff and easy to pop.

You will have lots of fun finding beautiful napkin scenes for your cards.  I look after holidays when they go on sale.  Or use coupons!  

Hope you like this technique and try it out.  It is addictive! 

I am entering this card into the following
ABC Challenges - ABC33 'Summer'
Created with Love Challenges - CWLC#46 Favorite Things (summer & the beach)
Kaboodle Doodles Challenges  - #176 Summer
Make It Monday - #145 Anything Goes
Sister Act Card Challenge - #11 Anything Goes (must be a card)

Thank you for spending some time with me today.
Cheesy Sandy


 

14 comments:

carsondcat said...

Great technique, I've seen it used on altered canvases but never thought to try it on a card before..

K8 said...

Beautiful card, I can almost see my self at the beach!! hank you for join us at Created With Love Challenge this week, hugs Kate (DT)

Chris Hanselman said...

Interesting technique. I had never seen it done before. Thanks for joining our Favorite Things Challenge at Created with Love Challenges.

~~Chris

Shona Erlenborn said...

What a fabulous scene Sandy. Love the technique and the result you achieved.

Donna Ellis said...

Oh, Sandy! This is beautiful! Love the texture - both from the napkin and the mod podge, but I especially like your fussy cutting to layer it like the new decoupage style that has come out. Germaine will love your card. Thank you for sharing your tutorial, too! hugs, de

Jacquel said...

Your card is so cool! I like that technique you used to achieve the weathered look....thanks so much for playing along with us @ ABC Challenges & hope to see you back again next week!!!

Dee said...

Noticed your card on Make It Monday. Just stopped by for a closer look. Love the scene you created! So very clever!

Lorraine A said...

Fabulous card Sandy,,, it almost looks like an oil painting ,,, gorgeous ! :-)

thanks for your comment on my blog, the paper is from a Wild Rose Studio,Bella's Birthday paper pack, there is a link on my blog :-)

luv
Lols x x x

Karen Petitt said...

Hi Sandy, I wanted to pop over and say thank you. Your lovely comment on my blog yesterday really made me smile - thank you so much - it means a lot to me when I get comments like that.
I love your card - I haven't seen much napkin decoupage before and this is so pretty. It looks like it has a suede like texture - really beautiful.
I would love to be beside the sea too and I envy your dollar bin finds - wish we had those over here lol! hugs Karen x

kingsharon1967 said...

Great creation and thank you for joining in the Kaboodle Doodle Challenge blog and good luck - Sharon DT

Unknown said...

Wonderful creation! Love it! Thanks for joining us at Created With Love Challenges this week.

~Maria

Danielle Vincent said...

This is really amazing. It looks like a piece of art that I would want to display. A terrific technique. Thanks so much for sharing with us at ABC Challenges this week.

Ellen Taylor said...

Wow! This is really amazing! I hope you framed this work of art!

JD/ Jill said...

Here's another technique that it's been a while since I tried it. MY last try did not turn out too well...However, would you believe...(this is true honest) in some swap mail that I received today. There was a pretty paper napkin in the envelope...Okay, You have inspired me again...